Monday, January 20
Announcements: Carmen Robertson will be here February 3 so Seeing Red presentations will be on that day, not next week
Assignments: Media Survey due; Interview research for media person/owner/publisher
Reading for next week: “Speaking and Hearing: Aboriginal Newspapers and the Public Sphere in Canada and Australia” by Shannon Avison and Michael Meadows at http://www.cjc-online.ca/index.php/journal/article/view/1163/1082
- Watch INCA Inspired from Shannon Avison on Vimeo.
- Seeing Red assignment for next week – each student to pick a chapter and be ready to present its main points next week
- Introduction is available online – Click here
- My copy is at FNUniv Library on reserve (available for 2.5 hours)
- Early publications – in-class exercise Early Aboriginal_Newspapers_Survey
3. Exercise – Survey of Aboriginal media – Each student pick your top most interesting…
4. Strategies for completing Assignment #2 – Interview research re: Aboriginal media organization
- Each student will select a different Aboriginal media organization, complete background research on the organization and then conduct an interview with a representative of that organization. In a 750-word report, students will introduce their research subject (including a brief description of the organizations history), provide a description of their research methodology, present their findings and an analysis of their findings. Each student will also deliver a 10-minute multimedia enhanced presentation on their subject and organization in class on the day the assignment is due.
- /20 marks – 1,000 word report/10 and multimedia presentation/10
- Assignment due Monday, February
Video: Reel Injun by Neil Diamond, NFB, 2010
Part 2 – Reel Injun: On the trail of the Hollywood Indian